Wednesday, September 06, 2006

written September 2


London will be our final stop on the tour, and while we've all been riding high on the excitement and energy of the concerts, everyone is also a little tired of the travelling and probably wants to do laundry at home... On the musical side, I found the concerts in Essen and Berlin to be especially satisfying. One challenge of performing in different halls every night is adjusting to the acoustics, sometimes without rehearsal. When a hall is particularly "live", or resonant, it can take quite a while to get used to hearing musical lines bouncing back from the far end of the stage or behind the audience in such a different way and speed. I marvel at the ability of those who sit deep within their section to continue to play with precise ensemble and intonation. Both the halls in Essen and Berlin were clear but warm sounding, and it was wonderful to hear so many key instrumental passages soaring out, as well as the clean glow in the tones of the vocal soloists.
On a personal note, my baby Rosalie has adjusted well to the time difference, and even the frequent boarding of buses, trains, and airplanes. Now when we get home will she be cheerfully awakening at 2 am to start the day?!


Juliette Kang

update Sept 6 - we arrived home safely, and Rosie woke up at 2:30 am with a smile...

2 Comments:

At 6:47 AM, Blogger kerry b said...

Greetings to all of you in my favorite orchestra! I'm a native Pennsylvanian (Luzerne County) now located in East Hampton NY. I head to Philadelphia 3 or 4 times a year, organizing my plans around the Philadelphia orchestra's programming.
I've been privileged to hear you under maestros Swallisch, Rattle, Eschenbach, Milanov & Dutoit (with Argerich) and say that at this stage of my life the experience of being with you is among the most satisfying. I don't know how you folks do what you do (so well!) but I sure am grateful that you do!

So, many thanks to you and congratulations on your current tour and those spledid, certainly well-deserved reviews from Europeans who surely have an acute awareness of quality. Interesting to read the blogs form travels to having to adjust to differing conditions, from fatigue to acoustics along the way.....
I know I'll be there (Philadelphia)in Feb. to attend one of Jurowski's concerts and I have some others very much in mind).
Anyway, sincere congratulations to you all and many, many thanks for
your orchestral generosity!!!

 
At 2:52 AM, Blogger pwsanders said...

I was hugely disappointed that the Beethoven 9 Prom was cancelled because of a fire. OK, we got our money back, but I'm sure it would have been an excellent evening.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

orchestra logo